Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Truth is Truth

Cue prideful Hermana Reed
I remember several times in college compartmentalizing the things I learned. During Sunday School the doctrine I learned went to one place, and what I learned in Comparative Politics went to another. It didn't seem possible to me that I could group all of those teaching into the same category. We live in a world where the rulings of the Supreme Court are valued more than the teachings of Jesus Christ.
Last year I watched a Young Single Adult broadcast by President Uchtdorf profoundly moved as he explained what is truth. At the time I was living in Washington DC (Crystal City if we are going to get technical), I had ended a summer internship on Capitol Hill and just barely finished working for a campaign. I'll admit, I thought I was pretty cool. I had always dreamed of working in politics and living in the Nation's Capitol, and I had finally actualized that dream. Needless to say, I had let myself become prideful and very absorbed in the things of the world. Often I would hear things in my work environment that would contradict my religious views, and I would compartmentalize these truths. just like I had at school. As time went on I saw myself really struggling with some of the things that contradicted my other beliefs, and was in a serious personal debate. On occasions I felt like I agreed with these worldly stances, and I struggled to understand how I could hold both things to be true, but not in the same category. I sometimes felt embarrassed that the only way I could explain a belief was because God had commanded us to do so. To those around me God wasn't a valid source of evidence.  It was amidst all this personal confusion that I heard this devotional. President Uchtdorf says, "There is indeed such a thing as absolute truth—unassailable, unchangeable truth.
This truth is different from belief. It is different from hope. Absolute truth is not dependent upon public opinion or popularity. Polls cannot sway it. Not even the inexhaustible authority of celebrity endorsement can change it. Yes, our world is full of confusion. But eventually all of our questions will be answered. All of our doubts will be replaced by certainty. And that is because there is one source of truth that is complete, correct, and incorruptible. That source is our infinitely wise and all-knowing Heavenly Father. He knows truth as it was, as it is, and as it yet will be.14 “He comprehendeth all things, … and he is above all things, … and all things are by him, and of him.”15


When I heard those words I felt like Heavenly Father had sent President Uchtdorf to deliver that message just to me. I knew that there was no such thing as moral relativism, and no division of truth. Elder Dallin H. Oaks describes it as "The philosophy of moral relativism, which holds that each person is free to choose for him or herself what is right and wrong." Stronger than ever before I realized no truth supersedes God's commandments and His gospel. It didn't matter that some of my belief's were not the majorities beliefs, or that I could seem uncool, out of date, or judgmental. I knew right then that God was the source of all truth. During this most recent General Conference, an apostle of the Lord, Elder Russell M. Nelson shares the following experience, "I had such a test decades ago when one of my medical faculty colleagues chastised me for failing to separate my professional knowledge from my religious convictions. He demanded that I not combine the two."  Sound familar? The world sees our secular and religious knowledge, or truth in two different categories, when in reality there really is just knowledge and truth. Elder Nelson continues, "How could I do that? Truth is truth! It is not divisible, and any part of it cannot be set aside.Whether truth emerges from a scientific laboratory or through revelation, all truth emanates from God. All truth is part of the gospel of Jesus Christ. Yet I was being asked to hide my faith. I did not comply with my colleague’s request. I let my faith show!In all professional endeavors, rigorous standards of accuracy are required. Scholars cherish their freedom of expression. But full freedom cannot be experienced if part of one’s knowledge is ruled “out-of-bounds” by edicts of men. Spiritual truth cannot be ignored—especially divine commandments. Keeping divine commandments brings blessings, every time! Breaking divine commandments brings a loss of blessings, every time!"

I pray that each and every one of us will see God's commandments and doctrine for what it is, truth. President Uchtdorf counseled,
"We seek for truth wherever we may find it. The Prophet Joseph Smith taught that “Mormonism is truth. … The first and fundamental principle of our holy religion is, that we believe that we have a right to embrace all, and every item of truth, without limitation or … being … prohibited by the creeds or superstitious notions of men.”20
As I have sought for truth everywhere and only placed it in one category, I have become happier, more confident, and more sure that God lives. Truth is truth, and God is the author of it. The blessing of accepting and living God's truth is eternal. So accept God's truth wherever it is found, and watch it bless and change your life for the better.





No comments:

Post a Comment